Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Yanni's favorite destination: Greece

Mykonos is the party island and is a fun place to visit. But don't attempt to go there in August, when everyone is there. The best months to go are September or October because the tourists have left by then and you have a little more privacy. However, my ultimate place for a romantic getaway is Santorini, which is a volcanic island. I like it so much that I wrote a song about it. There are little villages hanging off at the edge of the cliffs, and the water is deep blue. It's absolutely stunning at sunset—kind of like a Fellini movie.

GREEK CUISINE: The food is so good and hearty. It's really easy to get carried away. I have to run about six times a day when I'm there just to break even with everything that I eat! (Laughs.)

ON BEING RECOGNIZED: People are very polite to me. I'm a little bit of a celebrity in Santorini but everyone is so nice. Greeks aren't very aggressive. They may stare at you, but they won't invade your space.

Greece Online Travel

Greece Travel Photo Gallery